I have never been a very good doughnut maker until I came across this recipe. This is our new family favorite. It's easy and they don't stay around very long! This recipe was found on the internet at recipezaar.com. The chef who gets the credit is Roosie. I've made these a few times now. I don't do the doughnut holes. I think they are wasteful of good doughnut material. You can choose to do what you like.
Krispy Kreme Copycat Doughnuts
2 TBSP yeast
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk (scalded, then cooled)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/3 cup shortening
5 cups all purpose flour
oil for frying
Glaze
1/3 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla (I use a bit less)
4 - 6 TBSP hot water
Dissolve yeast in warm water in large mixer bowl. Add milk, sugar, salt, eggs, shortening and 2 cups flour. Beat on low for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl. Beat in medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Stir in remaining flour until smooth. Make sure the dough is soft - yet not sticky. Put dough into a greased bowl - turning once. Cover and let rise until double - about 1 hour.
The dough will not rise significantly like a bread dough would. The dough is ready when an indentation remains when touched. Turn dough onto floured surface; roll around lightly to coat with flour.
Gently roll dough 1/2 inch thick with floured rolling pin. Cut with doughnut cutter. Place cut doughnuts on a clean kitchen towel. Cover and let rise for about 40 minutes. They will get bigger this time. I promise.
Heat vegetable oil in deep fryer if you have one. Otherwise if you are like me - I use a large pan with 3 inches sides. Or you can use a dutch oven. Heat oil to 350 F. Slide doughnuts into hot oil with wide spatula. A metal one works best. That way your nice rubber ones won't melt. I use a large slotted spoon. Turn doughnuts as they rise to the surface. Fry until golden brown on each side. This part goes really fast so you have to watch carefully! :)
Remove carefully from oil and place back on the towels you had the doughnuts rising on. This is an easy step so I don't have to dirty something else.
Glaze
Heat butter until melted. Remove from heat source - whether microwave or stove top. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Stir in water - 1 TBSP at a time until desired consistency.
Using a spoon - spread a little glaze over each doughnut until your glaze is all used up. You just might have to go back and add glaze a second time!
Your family will love you for making this tasty treat and if you take it to say a cub scout dinner - it will be requested forever more. Enjoy with a tall glass of milk! :)
Sunday, March 1, 2009
Krispy Kreme Copycat Doughnuts
Posted by Candace at 2:41 PM
Labels: after-school snack, breakfast, desserts, doughnuts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
I just finished making these with my boys and they turned out AWESOME! My boys wanted the holes in the donuts after seeing the first few without. I also made a second glaze with Maple instead of Vanilla and it was amazing too. I'm sure the scouts will be so happy to try them at our house tonight. Thanks for the recipe!
Post a Comment